About Dr. Velasco
Dr. Carlos Velasco is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Interventional Cardiology. Dr. Velasco has practiced and served patients in the Dallas area since 1996. Dr. Velasco practices at the Baylor University Medical Center and Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital. He is Director of Cardiology Quality Assurance and Peer Review, Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital and Baylor University Medical Center, Vice Chair, Internal Review Board of Human Research Studies, Baylor Health Care System, Core Faculty, Baylor University Medical Center, and Clinical Professor of Medicine, Texas A&M College of Medicine.
He is a Fellow of the ACC and ACP. Dr. Velasco is active in research, teaching and lecturing on a variety of Cardiology subjects. His research interest include triggering mechanisms of myocardial infarction and the use of transmyocardial stem cell injections for regeneration of heart muscle cells.
Baylor University Medical Center
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Interventional Cardiology, including PCI and stenting
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: Cristobal Colon School, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Medical School: Universidad de Guayaquil School of Medicine, Guayaquil, Ecuador, MD
- Residency Training: Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Cardiology Fellowships: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Diseases, Interventional Cardiology
Awards and Recognition
He has received the Lyndon Baines Johnson Research Award of the American Heart Association, Texas Affiliate and is a scientific reviewer for several medical journals including Circulation, American Journal of Cardiology, Journal of Intensive Care, Chest, The American Journal of Physiology (Heart and Circulatory Physiology), Journal of Neuroendocrinology, Baylor Proceedings, and Reviews in Cardiovascular Medicine.
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Heart Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society